BATTERY CELLS -
Battery and cathode-electrode-interconnect X-ray inspection process & product control
X-ray technology has been used for years for battery X-ray inspection, and process & product control of battery cells. Our new and innovative X-ray systems push the battery cells X-ray inspection level to the real need – to detect what is critical for process & product quality inspection.
THE VALUE OF LOW-ENERGY X-RAY TECHNOLOGY:
- reducing loss and making best use of raw materials
- better product classification and a better product price
- avoiding customer complaints
- a robust, reliable, and safe inspection technology
- hygienic design guidelines
High-resolution inspection is important for the conformity verification of complete battery cells,
where even tiny imperfections may have catastrophic consequences. Such high resolution
on-line imaging may be achieved by combining microfocus X-ray imaging with advanced
and very fast high contrast digital imaging devices.
Battery cells of high performance and precursors for battery and energy conversion devices are critical since defects may have severe implications for performance and user safety.
Inspection by low energy X-rays offers a very high contrast, suitable for the process control and conformity verification of e.g. carbon sheets, platinum doped sheets, ultrathin electrodes, interconnects, etc.:
- Graphite plates: The density and porosity of graphite plates can be measured and quantified based on e.g. attenuation profiles across the X-ray images of the plates or sheets. The intensity of the profile reveals the thickness/density and/or compositional variations of graphite (or other elements) across the plate. The porosity is seen as white areas in the X-ray images, whereas dark spots may be due to patches that are more dense, e.g. due to compaction or clusters/aggregates of base material, impurities, etc..
- Platinum sheets: differences in the variation, frequency, spots, and size of platinum particles is readily seen even for platinum particles in the micron range, due to the high contrast at low energy. Overall, the structure is typically distinctly different for samples that conform to specifications as compared to not-OK samples.
BATTERY CELLS X-RAY INSPECTION
We are currently working on a case story about Battery Cells X-ray Inspection.
In the meantime, you are welcome to read our other case stories and resources.