ALUMINIUM, RUBBER -
The low X-ray energy gives a very high contrast for even small manufacturing irregularities. At the same time, the high imaging resolution implies that a
defect is represented by many pixels. This
highly improves the software
recognition of a defect.
X-ray technology has been used for years for extruded products X-ray inspection, and process & product control of extruded products such as aluminium or rubber. Our new and innovative X-ray systems push the extruded products X-ray inspection level to the real need – to detect what is critical for process & product quality inspection.
THE VALUE OF LOW-ENERGY X-RAY TECHNOLOGY:
- reducing loss and making best use of raw materials
- better product classification and a better product price
- avoiding customer complaints
- a robust, reliable, and safe inspection technology
- hygienic design guidelines
Internal particles, salt grains, deposits, holes and other defects may cause leakage or blocking the fluid flow in the hose/profile upon installation. The detection and rejecting of product parts with these defects is,
therefore, a need towards ensuring the end-user’s acceptance of the product.
The rubber hose production and the aluminum profile production are examples of extruded products with demanding applications, e.g. for automotive production. The automatic online detection of manufacturing irregularities that may have significant implication for the application of the product is important.
For example, internal particles, salt grains and deposits, holes and other defects may cause leakage or blocking the fluid flow in the hose/profile upon installation. The detection and rejecting of product parts with these defects is, therefore, a need towards ensuring the end-user’s acceptance of the product.
When a defect is detected, a signal is sent from a PLC to a reject arrangement, one signal for each line (maximum 4 lines per X-ray system). Different settings can be applied to obtain a sorting of products into different categories of product. The accurate location of defects can be transferred to a marking or cutting arrangement. Special imaging technologies are implemented in order to accommodate the high manufacturing speed – up to 200 m/min.
For rubber hoses, the typical performance is the detection of particles down to 0.5 mm in diameter in hoses with wall thickness of up to 1.5 mm, at line-speed of 30 m/min. At the same conditions, holes are detected with diameters from 0.6 mm. Typical false reject rate is less than 1 per cent, or less than 0.5 meter false reject for 100 meter hose. Larger wall thickness and faster speed have an impact of the probability of detection, which is gradually lowered. In aluminum profile production, holes are detected down to 0.3 mm, and false reject rate is considerably lower (due to less product variation).
The detection technology requires that the product is free of water and other external (or internal) (allowed) “contamination”. It is also important that the product is guided through the X-ray system without severe vibration or other high frequency movement. For multiple lane systems, maximum product diameter (width) is around 20-50 mm, product dependent.
- Two module systems with control compartment separate from inspection compartment
- Ultra compact: inspection compartment approx. 500(L) x 600(H) x 400(W)
- Ultrafast inspection capability: Line speed up to 180-200 m/min
- Fast signaling cycle: Less than 15 ms
- High precision in marking of defect – better than 0.08 s precision (depending on local layout of network and control/handshake)
- Robust, proven technology
- Detection capability 0.3 – 0.8 mm, speed and defect-type dependent
- Ultra high sensitivity – high contrast images
- Suitable for multiple products in one system (multiple lines per system) (total width < 150 mm)
- System product coverage 150 mm in width
- Optional 450 mm detection width – however lower maximum speed capability (< 30 or <60 m/min)
- Weight < 80 kg for inspection compartment
- 2 m distance (cable connection) between control compartment and inspection compartment
- Tailored to suit application