Process & Product Quality Control » Seafood X-ray Inspection
SEAFOOD X-RAY INSPECTION -
LOBSTER, CRAB & OTHER SHELLFISH
When a lobster enters our seafood X-ray inspection - quality control system, an X-ray image will be taken.
The X-ray image is then analyzed to estimate the
quality of the lobster. The intensity in the X-ray
image depends on the attenuation
of the X-rays by the product.
X-ray technology has been used for years for seafood x-ray inspection quality control. Our new and innovative X-ray systems push the detection level to the real need – to detect what is critical for the consumer.
THE VALUE OF LOW-ENERGY X-RAY TECHNOLOGY:
- reducing loss and making best use of raw materials
- better product classification and a better product price
- avoiding customer complaints
- a robust, reliable, and safe inspection technology
- hygienic design guidelines
HOW IT WORKS
The quality assessment of mussels, lobster, crab, and other crustaceans,
includes the assessment of the meat contents.
When a lobster enters the system, an X-ray image will be taken. The X-ray image is then
analyzed to estimate the quality of the lobster. The intensity in the X-ray image depends on the
attenuation of the X-rays by the product. In the case of the lobster, this attenuation depends on the
projected shell thickness and the meat content inside the shell. In the image, the claws
are identified, and the software grades the lobsters based on the claw(s).
High sensitivity X-ray imaging combined with advanced numerical image analysis has made it possible to grade lobsters relative to the meat content. Results have been compared with destructive meat assessment as well as with blood protein analysis and subjective grading processes, such as “squeezing”. Results show a very good correspondence between true meat content and X-ray derived values.
The system is reliable, automatic, fast, and robust. It can provide a consistent and repeatable grading of a lobster, to secure its right price and its correct quality grade.
The basis of the technology is the intensive experience InnospeXion has gained in supplying fish bone detection systems for the fish processing industry worldwide. The system development was targeted:
- Automatic self-contained system for lobster grading
- Reliable, Robust, Reproducible results that match the destructive assessment of meat content
- Fast inspection capability: Line speed up to 30 m/min, 1 lobster per second (max. 2 kg).
- Ultra high sensitivity – high contrast images
- Suitable for different species
- Easily interfaced with reject, sorting and grading machinery
- Hygienic, wash down design
- Tailoring possible